Precise, compact and lightweight, the American Lawn Mower 1204-14 14 Inch Deluxe Hand Reel Mower is great for those tiny lawns or backyards that make a gas or electric mower look like overkill. With just 14 inches of cutting width and height adjustment of 0.5 to 1.5 inches, this push mower skates on grass quick.
Even if you happen to have a larger motored mower, getting this reel mower will only aid in finishing lawn duties faster. Imagine those tiny patches left untouched by your more powerful mower, with this American reel lawn mower you can make quick one-last touch ups.
- Walk Behind Lawn Mower
- Reel Mower
- 14 inch cutting deck
- Ideal for most turf grasses
- Clean, precise, scissor-like cut
- Steel construction
- 8.5 inch polymer wheels
- Cutting height between 0.5 and 1.5 inch
- Weight: 19 lbs
- Limited 90 days warranty
American Lawn Mower Company 1204-14 14-Inch 4-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower, Red
$81.04 in stock
3 used from $72.02
- 4-blade reel mower with a cutting width of 14” and durable 8.5” polymer wheels for maximum maneuverability. Lightweight at only 19 pounds. Reel Lawn Mowers are great for small lawns.
- This push lawn mower has an adjustable blade height of 0.5”-1.75”. Capable of cutting grass up to 4 inches tall and is less effective on taller grass.
- Manual grass cutter is environment-friendly alternative to other lawn mowers. This push mower is pollution-free, noise-free, low maintenance, lightweight and easy to use.
- A reel mower uses a cutting action that does not bruise or damage the blades of grass. For best results using a reel push mower, mow no more than 1/3 of the grass blade, so that the roots stay intact.
- Increase the amount of overlap while using your push mower if your lawn reaches a height of 4 inches or more. It’s better to mow smaller amounts more frequently than it is to let the grass get long. Try not reel mower when the grass is wet.
In-depth Review of the American Lawn Mower 1204-14, 14-Inch Deluxe Hand Reel Mower
Ease Of Use
First and foremost, this reel mower lacks about 4 to 6 inches on an average push mower’s cutting deck reach. Being just 14 inches wide, expect a bit more pushing around and few extra passes to mow your lawn. Having said that, the fact that it weighs just 19 pounds fully assembled makes this the lightest push mower around. This makes it really simple to maneuver, corner and even push uphill. The blade arrangement also helps by ensuring a frictionless cut on any grass type be it fescue, rye or bluegrass.
As for first-time use, the entire unit comes in parts with all the nuts and bolts included in the packaging. It takes about 15 minutes following the instructions to get it up and running. A word of advice, before using it for the first time, oil the moving components to ensure a smooth break-in.
While we are inclined to say that this mower has the best cut quality of all push mowers, the only gripe is its petite cutting deck. Being lightweight and quick on the ground, it mows through tall and short grass rather efficiently but needs more number of walk-throughs to complete mowing. Moreover, because of its lightweight nature, it tends to leave out that odd grass blade which was longer than the rest or of a different type. As for edge mowing, this mower gets pretty close to the sides but still requires an edge trimmer to get the job done.
0.5 to 1.5 inches is all you get so be regular with your lawn care. If you let the grass catch pace, you may have to spend more time trying to even out the lawn to begin with. However, with a weekly manicured lawn, the American Lawn Mower 1204-14, 14-Inch Deluxe Hand Reel Mower is quick and efficient. For regular mowing, the 1 inch height works best leaving a clean, regular effect.
At times the mower blades get stuck on pinecone and twigs that entangle tight inside the blade’s spiral arrangement. To remove them try moving the mower back and forth a few times. Usually, the only part that wears away with time in a reel mower is the blade sharpness, which thankfully on the American Lawn Mower 1204 can be remade from your local workshop owing to the traditional design.
At least 30 dollars less than many reel mowers on the market, simple in its design and limited maintenance costs makes the American Lawn Mower 1204 an ideal investment for anyone, whether they have a high powered gas/electric mower or not. And for folks with a tiny lawn, this mower is lightweight, easy to use and needs no maintenance at all, or in other words – it’s a no-brainer.
- Price tag
- Durable steel
- Easy cornering and mowing close to edgesss
- Only 90-days warranty
Petite & InexpensiveNeed a standby reel mower? Have a small lawn? If price or your lawn size limits the type of push mower you can purchase then the American Lawn Mower 1204-14, 14 Inch Deluxe Hand Reel Mower is a good option. Not too expensive, neither dull in performance, this mower is designed to be rather easy and light on the pocket.